Thursday, June 6, 2013

The Palette Expanded (and Mind Blown)!


My mess of wine tasting notes, waiting to be organized.

Reims, Burgundy, and just barely (one day), Paris: Ah, la France, la patrie du vin. After 12 days of tasting, spitting, eating, and getting lost on autoroutes and in tiny villages, I had countless hotel notepad papers full of tasting note scribbles jammed into a folio and a journal bursting with recountings of adventures.

As I attempted to organize my notes, I found myself wanting a CTRL+F (find) function to look up certain things or events. Sadly, this doesn’t work for hand-written documents, much less the messy chicken scratch my penmanship degraded into when my wrist fatigued. (I write. A lot. I give every detail because otherwise I will forget!)

So, I decided to document my experiences here in a somewhat cleaned-up fashion. That way I can share my experiences with curious minds, as well as look anything up easily. I’ll also add my notes about wines and foods I try as I go along, post-trip.

Discovery Highlights:
  • I love me Chassagne-Montrachet and Chablis for Blancs.
  • I love me Gevrey-Chambertin and Chambolle-Musigny for Rouges.
  • Crémant de Bourgogne is a great apéritif drink!
  • Gougères are a great way to start a meal. (I want my cheesy poofs!)

I’ll summarize my Voyage Découverte this way:

  • I’ve had a first chance to see and taste the land through wine, liqueurs, and food. 
  • I’ve met colorful folks in the wine industry, from dirt-beneath-the-fingernails winemakers (e.g. Bernard Rion) to slick young tour guides in the Big Houses (e.g. Mumm Champagne).
  • I’ve been held hostage by an autoroute toll booth. (Never again!!)
  • My taste buds exploded slowly over the days, beautifully. I am full of wonder. I want to return. I want to learn more. 

I think something is happening to me, and you bet I’m going to let it develop. I can’t wait to see what it will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment